A friend requested raspberry recipes after she picked 7 pounds of fresh raspberries. I tested and loved this recipe, which I modified slightly from the original recipe by Elinor Klivans published in the “Washington Post” Food section (2001).
Raspberry Cupcakes with White Chocolate Frosting
Yield: 12 cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
1 ½ C. cake flour
1 tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
4 oz. (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temp.
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract
¼ tsp. almond extract
½ C. milk
1/3 C. (about ½ pint) fresh raspberries
For the frosting:
1 ¾ C. heavy whipping cream
4 oz. white chocolate, coarsely chopped
½ tsp. vanilla extract
¼ tsp. almond extract
36 fresh raspberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit.
- Place paper liners in 12 standard size muffin tins.
- For the cupcakes: In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the butter & sugar until light and fluffy, about 8 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating for 1 minute after each addition. Scrape the bowl down after each addition.
- Add the vanilla and almond extracts and mix just until incorporated.
- Reduce the speed to low. Alternately add the dry ingredients with the milk in 2 stages, mixing just until incorporated.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer, and use a rubber spatula to stir the raspberries in gently by hand.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared liners filling them ½ full.
- Bake approx. 20 minutes until the tops spring back when touched and a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool in the pans for 5 minutes, then remove cupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the frosting: In a medium saucepan over low heat, heat ¼ C. of heavy cream until it begins to steam, but do not boil! Remove the pan from the heat.
- Add the white chocolate and set aside until the chocolate softens, arrpox. 1-2 minutes. Stir until the white chocolate melts and is completely smooth.
- Transfer the white chocolate mixture to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap so that the wrap is touching the surface of the chocolate, and refrigerate until cold, approx. 45 minutes.
- In a large stainless steel mixing bowl with an electric mixer on high speed, beat the remaining 1 ½ C. heavy cream with the vanilla & almond extracts and the cold white chocolate mixture until soft peaks form.
- Frost the cooled cupcakes and garnish with 3 fresh raspberries atop each.